Our Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum Intent
At Carden Nursery and Primary School we believe in providing high quality, active, purposeful and exciting learning opportunities for all our children. Our aim is to give our children a secure foundation to build all their future learning upon. We aim to develop their natural curiosity, build their resilience and perseverance, equip them with a wealth of skills and knowledge and teach them to value themselves as individuals. We know it is vital for children to learn how to build positive and lasting relationships, we help them learn how to manage their social interactions in positive ways, how to accept disappointment and how to embrace challenge without worrying about getting things right first time.
We have plenty of indoor and outdoor space for our children to explore and learn in and we make the most of being outside no matter what the weather! We make sure our children are mindful of their learning journey, giving them a strong sense of pride in their achievements, we love sharing this with parents and carers too.
We aim to ensure every pupil:
- Receives a comprehensive settling in programme designed to ensure they are able to transition into the new setting with ease.
- Has access to a safe, calm and inclusive setting every day where they can build positive relationships based on equality, diversity, trust and respect.
- Has access to a rich, creative and purposeful learning environment designed to reflect their interests, offer them challenge and support them in developing a range of new skills.
- Has access a language rich environment where talk is valued and evident in all we do.
- Has access to high quality teaching and a balanced curriculum which takes into account the varying developmental stages of each individual child.
- Is given the support, encouragement and skills they need to develop socially, physically, intellectually and emotionally.
- Is supported to develop resilience, confidence and perseverance when taking on something new.
- Can play, engage and explore; fostering motivation through active learning opportunities.
- Feels safe, valued and welcomed within our Carden school community.
Our Curriculum Design
Our curriculum has been designed to give children a wealth of experiences, with lots of opportunity to play and engage with their friends and the world around them. We have mapped out what key skills and knowledge we want our children to gain during each half term in line with Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum areas of learning. These areas are:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Communication, Language and Literacy
- Physical Development
- Literacy (Reading and Writing)
- Mathematics (Number and Shape, Space and Measure)
- Understanding of the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
Our curriculum is coherently planned and delivered in a structured and sequenced way.
Some areas of learning are most apparent in our day to day ongoing provision as well as being explicitly taught. For example, turn taking, being respectful, language development, listening and attention skills, fine and gross motor skills. Some areas of learning lend themselves to the timings of the year; for example, learning about seasons, cultural and religious festivals, learning school routines and rules, observing animals and plants. Other aspects are planned for across the 6 half terms, for example learning how to read, write and work with numbers. This is so skills can be learned, revisited and built upon in a progressive way.
Our time table ensures children have opportunities to engage in play, self-initiated activities and adult led learning. The timetable changes as the children progress through the EYFS, for example there is a greater amount of structure in Reception, which continues to develop into the Summer term this supports the children with transitioning into year 1.
We do not have key 'themes or topics' for each term. We aim to go with the interests of the children and tailor the learning to topics which they will enjoy, this can be different each year. We work hard to ensure our children have the best start to their school career and make sure parents and carers . Have a look at our curriculum documents below to find out more!
Our Curriculum for Each Area of Learning
Please click on the links below to see our curriculum for each area of learning:
|Communication, Language and Literacy||Personal, Social and Emotional Development||Physical Development|
|Shape, Space and Measure||Understanding the World||Expressive Arts and Design|
Phonics at Carden
For information about Phonics click the link below: