Carden was originally built so that it could also function as a hospital if required in 1948, before being repurposed as a school. The building is spacious, with large windows letting in lots of light and air. There are doors from each classroom onto patio areas, and playing fields. This means the children have ample space to learn and play.
Yet large classrooms and grounds doesn’t mean it’s an overwhelming space for younger pupils. Carden has created three connected but separate areas for different age groups. This allows Nursery and Reception pupils to enjoy their own space to play, while supporting them through our buddy system to gradually integrate into the wider school.
Carden facilities for sports and outdoor activities include:
- three large playing fields for sports and play
- an indoor swimming pool on-site
- two dedicated forest school outdoor learning areas – one for Reception only
- a playground with newly installed equipment
- patio areas for each year group
- an orchard
- a secure pond area
- a spacious indoor sports hall
In addition, facilities within the school include:
- Two IT and technology centres
- a dedicated Speech and language Centre
- Music centre
- a library
- a second sports hall for Key Stage 1 pupils.