Carden Primary School is committed to promoting and upholding the British Values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and of mutual respect and tolerance. We aim to do this through a range of approaches including policy development, school ethos and rules, curriculum delivery, pastoral support, safeguarding and work with the wider community and external agencies.
An understanding of democracy is developed through:
- The School’s Core Values
- The Curriculum ( History, PSHE, Geography etc.)
- School Council
- Current Affairs/Assemblies/focus on national events (General Election, referendums etc)
- Pupil Voice Events
An understanding of the rule of law is developed through:
- Whole School work on School Rules and classroom rules as part of New Beginnings SEAL work
- Curriculum (PSHE, Drugs Education, SRE)
- Targeted work on Protective Behaviours
- Annual Safety In Action Events
- Work with Community Liaison Officers
- Work with external agencies such as Safety Net
An understanding of civil liberty (freedom of speech, freedom of movement, freedom of assembly, freedom of association and freedom of religious worship) is developed through:
- Curriculum (PSHE, History, RE – Black History Month, Role Models for Equalities and Liberty – Rosa Parks, Suffragettes, Ghandi, Martin Luther King and Harvey Milk)
An understanding of respect and tolerance/acceptance is developed through:
- The Behaviour and Anti-Bullying Policies and systems (Peaceful Problem Solving Process, Bubble Time, Playground Buddies, Circle Time, Big Deal ometer).
- Equalities Action Plan and identified priorities
- A whole school focus on Working With Others & Core Learning Skills development
- Extensive Equalities work on Disability Awareness, Gender Equality - International Women’s Day, LGBT Rights, Refugee Awareness (Assemblies, visitors and work with external agencies such as Traveller Education, All Sorts, Stonewall and visits from local Priests, Imams and Rabbis).
- Local Authority lead school on Holocaust Memorial Day events
Please click here for examples of how we promote and uphold British Values at Carden